Christian Brothers Roofing (CBR), once I could get them to do an estimate
and at $16,238, came in $3000 to $6000 higher than the next two bids, but I
decided to give them a chance to tell me why their estimate was so high and
what I would get for the very substantial excess costs. As you will see in her
own words, it seems as though Melody, the CBR estimator, continuously
apologized for the delays in getting back to me, making me feel undervalued as
a customer, particularly one spending tens of thousands of dollars on a new
roof ...
From: Melody McCullem <melody@453roof.com>
Date: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 at 9:46 PM
To: CombatCritic
Subject: Roof Estimate from Melody with Christian Brothers Roofing
Hello, Thank you for
allowing me the opportunity to help you. I apologize for the delay in
getting this information to you. Per your request, I have
attached the estimate for a new roof. I would love to
meet with you to show you the pictures that I took of the storm damage and to
also review your insurance documents. I know that I found more than $2500
in repairs that are needed for this property. Additionally,
you mentioned that you were retired military and I am not sure if other
contractors have mentioned to you that GAF (manufacturer of Timberline) has a
special rebate that they offer to you. Please let me
know if you have any questions or would like to move forward. Thank you, Melody McCullem816-214-7402
I contacted her on Thursday, August
28, 2014, asking to meet the following Tuesday to discuss the CBR bid. After
hearing nothing for two days, I sent the following email:
From: CombatCritic
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2014 11:36 AM
To: Melody McCullem
Subject: Re: Roof Estimate from Melody with Christian Brothers Roofing
Melody, I called and left a message
2 days ago [8/28/2014]. I’ll be at the house in KC
on Tuesday and can meet you at 1pm to discuss your bid. I will then be making a
decision. Please let me know if you or another rep can meet me at that time.
Thanks
Four (4) days after my request to
meet the following week, I finally received a response (with more apologies for
being delayed) …
On Sep 1, 2014, at 4:31 PM, Melody
McCullem <melody@453roof.com>
wrote: Hello, I received your voicemail and your
email. I am pleased that you would like to go over the estimate that I put
together. I have been out of town and apologize for the delayed
response. I understand that you are in town
tomorrow/Tuesday for a few hours and hope that we will be able to
connect. Unfortunately, my schedule is very full for tomorrow…I might
have some time around noon, but know that I would have more availability after
5pm. As for the references, at
this point I would encourage you to look on Angies List. We have 100+ positive reviews and are the highest
ranking roofing company. It is not a common practice for us to give out
other customer contact information. If you would like additional references
after we meet, then I will contact a few of our customers for you and ask them
if I may share their information with you.
Again, I apologize for the
delayed response and look forward to hearing back
from you regarding your availability for tomorrow.
Thank you, Melody McCullem816-214-7402
I guess customers are supposed to
be more flexible than business owners when it comes to spending $16K, but I
know that is not the case and told Melody my schedule could not meet her
unreasonable demands. After all, I had given her 5 days to work me into her
schedule, but she ignored me for four of the five and expected me to submit to
her schedule …
From: CombatCriticSent: Tuesday, September 2, 2014
8:42 AM
To: Melody McCullem
Subject: Re: Roof Estimate from
Melody with Christian Brothers Roofing I'm not available after 2pm.
Sent from my iPhone
Melody then arrived unannounced at
the house on the following Tuesday while I was meeting with the other
contractors, putting me in an uncomfortable position. However, after the other
contractor left, I gave her the opportunity to discuss her bid, but it seemed
all she could do was talk badly about the other bids (which she never saw)
rather than trying to deflate her bid (full of unnecessary upsell/upgrade
charges) to meet our rather hefty budget.
Melody insisted that she could get
my insurance company to pay for most, if not all, of the roof replacement, so I
agreed to give her a chance to contact them in an effort to have them pay for
the necessary damage repairs:
From: Melody McCullem <melody@453roof.com>
Date: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 at 8:00 PM
To: CombatCritic
Subject: RE: Roof Estimate from Melody with Christian Brothers Roofing
Hello Chris, Attached is the Insurance
Contingent Contract. As you can see, it basically says that all three
parties must agree on the “scope and price” of the storm damage. My goal
is also to get 50%+ of your roof paid for. I know that I can prove storm
damage all over the place, but I could not possible tell you exactly how much I
will be able to get your insurance to move because there are things/people that
are out of my control. I would love to see your insurance documents to
know what they are already looking at. Please let me know if you would
like to move forward. Thank You, Melody McCullem816-214-7402
I sent her the contingency contract
back immediately, telling her that our tenants had reported more leaks and interior
damage after large storms that very morning and that it was urgent that we get
to roof replaced ASAP if not take temporary precautions to avoid unneeded
damage to the interior of our house:
From: CombatCritic
Date: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 at 11:17 AM
To: Melody McCullem <melody@453roof.com>
Subject: Re: Roof Estimate from Melody with Christian Brothers Roofing
Melody, Documents attached. As you can see from the photos I
received this morning from the tenant, we need to move quickly on this before more
damage to our home is incurred as a result leaks in the roof. Is there
something we can do to minimize damage until the claim is settled and work can
be performed? Thanks,
But I received no response indicating that Melody
had received my message much less any indication that she had started working
with our insurance company. In most states there are provisions for a three (3)
day cooling off period after signing a service contract to cancel, so with
$16,000+ on the line and an unresponsive contactor, I had to make a decision to
protect myself and our home. I sent her the following message:
From: CombatCritic
Sent: Thursday, September 4, 2014 2:31 PM
To: Melody McCullem
Subject: Re: Roof Estimate from Melody with Christian Brothers Roofing
Melody, After 24 hours without a
reply, unless I see some rapid progress, I’m going to have to go a different
route. If you haven’t contacted USAA and
provided me with a firm timeframe for resolution by tomorrow (Friday, Sep 4
2014), I’m going to have to cancel the contract IAW Missouri Revised Statutes,
Chapter 407, Section 407.937 (Right to cancel contract—notice of cancellation,
effective when—form of cancellation). For $16K+, I need someone who is
responsive and action oriented, particularly because WE HAVE A LEAKING ROOF
CAUSING DAMAGE TO OUR HOUSE. I have until midnight Monday to cancel the
contract under Missouri Law, but will be making a decision NLT 2pm tomorrow in
order to get someone to secure our roof and prevent further damage. Thank you,
I guess I should not be surprised
because customer service is a thing of the past and CBR apparently has more
customers and money than they need (not surprising considering the cost of
their inflated bids), but this is the unprofessional response I received:
From: Melody McCullem <melody@453roof.com>
Date: Thursday, September 4, 2014 at 8:32 PM
To: CombatCritic
Subject: RE: Roof Estimate from Melody with Christian Brothers Roofing
I received your email and immediately
reached out to Property Claims Team to request a re-inspection. They are
not able to set appointments for adjusters and told me that they would be in
contact with me asap. I attempted to contact them again, but unfortunately, I
was still unable to schedule something. I was told that someone should be
in contact with me before noon CST tomorrow. I did take action after receiving
your agreement yesterday afternoon and apologize that I have not been able to make
rapid progress. From your previous email, I understand that you are
unhappy with the lack of action takin by your insurance company. Unfortunately,
I am not able to control your insurance company. Subsequently, I do
not wish to work with someone who will begin making threats and quoting
Missouri cancellation laws to me within 24 hours of sending in an email
asking for CBR to help re-open an insurance claim and help collect on unpaid damages. From this point forward, I
will consider our contract void and will
direct all future correspondence from your insurance company back to you. Thank you, Melody McCullem816-214-7402
I remember the days when businesses
believed that “the customer is always right” and we were treated with dignity
and respect, but these days it is THE NORM, NOT THE EXCEPTION that businesses
seem to care less about customer service. In many more cases, including this
one, businesses apparently believe that they can do whatever they like,
treating paying customers like we OWE IT TO THEM to dole out our hard earned
money while being treated with indignity and disrespect. BUT, I HAVE A CHOICE
WHERE I SPEND MY MONEY AND CHRISTIAN BROTHERS ROOFING WILL NOT BE RECEIVING A
PENNY OF MINE!
UPDATE: September 18, 2014 After eliminating the lowest bid, we replaced our roof with premium shingles, materials, and labor, nearly identical to those quoted by Christian Brothers ($16,238), for just $11,900. The materials were professionally installed in less than 5 days, SAVING US OVER $4,000 WHEN COMPARED TO THE CHRISTIAN BROTHER'S BID.
CombatCritic Gives Christian Brothers
Roofing (Kansas City, MO) A Paltry 1 Bomb Out of 10 for VALUE and CUSTOMER
SERVICE
Key Words: Christian Brothers
Roofing, Christian, Brothers, roofing, roof, contractor, business, Kansas City,
Missouri, house, shingles, asphalt, cedar, shake, pitch, CombatCritic, TravelValue